TicketLiquidator

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Leslie West


Wow.  What can I say about Leslie West.  I saw Leslie West and Mountain Live at East Stroudsburg State College (now ESU), back in 1969 or 1970.  Had a great date with a really gorgeous young lady (Tara was her name), sadly, she had an overprotective father who refused to allow me to drive us to the concert by ourselves, so her daddy had to take us.  Anyway, so much for memories of old flames.

Leslie West was a big guy with a big sound.  The band "Mountain" had just recently released their album titled "Mountain"  (proudly, I still have that vinyl record in my collection.)  Two songs on the album were getting some serious radio play at that time "Mississippi Queen" and "Theme for an Imaginary Western."  Back then, "Mountain" was comprised of Corky Laing on Drums, and Felix Pappalardi on Bass Guitar.  As much as Leslie West was a big man, Corky Laing had huge wild hair and a wild look in his eyes.  I don't remember exactly how many drum sticks he broke during the course of that concert, but it was most certainly several.

No comments:

Post a Comment